The question "What cam should I buy for my bike?" is the one we often hear. While there are no hard and fast rules for picking a cam for a specific application, some basic guidelines are worth considering. Keep in mind that performance camshafts are usually chosen for the basic purpose of producing more power from your engine. The three questions to answer before choosing a new cam for your Harley Davidson® motorcycle are:
1. Primary application: Is the bike going to be used for all around street riding or is the goal to have an engine which is running at the maximum torque and horse power for track or drag racing?
2. Type of riding: Do you spend a lot of your time riding two up on highway trips or is it more important to have the most power you can get. In other words is your riding style conservative or aggressive?
3. Engine/Bike combination: This question relates to displacement (cubic inches), compression ratio, bike weight and what kind of cylinder head modifications have been done. Have the intake and exhaust ports been changed to result in better flow efficiency? Does the engine have higher than stock compression ratio to take advantage of a longer duration cam? Is the bike lighter like a Dyna or heavy bagger?
Street bikes will often perform better with a mild cam than more radical cams. While bigger cams may have a higher peak horsepower, more conservative cams may feel stronger to a street rider because the max torque occurs at lower RPM. Changing cams is the easy way to more torque in the 2000-4000 RPM range. A cam with a longer intake duration will reduce static compression pressure at low speed which in turn will tend to reduce low RPM torque. But with a longer duration cam and a higher compression ratio, power at middle and high speeds will be increased which is what you wanted all along. This is the main benefit of a good performance camshaft and properly tuned engine.
For an engine with a cam properly matched to the displacement and compression ratio, the net result will be more power at middle and higher engine speeds. In general, higher compression ratios need longer duration cams Bolt in type cams are intended for stock compression ratios.
Camshaft Install Kits
When purchasing camshafts they do not typically include all the parts required for installation. Like all the products we carry, we test first test them in house to find the ultimate combination of parts to provide the reliability you would expect along with the best possible pricing. We have put together two Install Packages for you to choose from when selecting your camshafts and you can select the best kit to fit your needs.
Basic Install Kit
- All gaskets required for installation.
- All o-rings required for installation.
- Fuel Moto Adjustable Pushrods
- Koyo Inner Cam Bearings
Complete Install Kit
All the same items as the Basic Install Kit with the addition of:
- Wood Performance Directional Alpha Series Lifters
- Item Requires Shipping
- 73.0 lbs.
- W15.0000” x H8.0000” x L108.0000”
Aftermarket Product Use
By checking the box and clicking continue below, the individual acknowledges and agrees to the following terms and conditions:
In order for performance components to be listed “for use on a public highway” there is an approval process that needs to be met. This approval process varies based on the component (e.g. the process for a head lamp bulb and an exhaust system is entirely different). If a product manufacturer opts not to obtain approval for use on a public highway, the part is labeled and is intended for “off-road use only”.
Performance components that have been approved for use on a public roads are badged on www.fuelmotousa.com with the STREET LEGAL stamp and are U.S. 49-State legal manufacturer declared emissions replacement parts.
Performance components not approved for use on public roads are badged on www.fuelmotousa.com with the OFF-ROAD USE stamp are not legal to use and operate on public roads. Fuel Moto Inc. or www.fuelmotousa.com hold no responsibility either implied or otherwise for mechanical, electrical or other failure when using any aftermarket performance product. Items sold for off-road use only are not legal in many states and provinces and are not intended for use on a public road.
By purchasing any aftermarket performance product, the customer takes full responsibility for any use, and/or misuse of the product and agrees that Fuel Moto Inc or www.fuelmotousa.com holds no responsibility for any consequences, legal, or other, of such use and/or misuse. The use of performance modifications may violate warranties from the manufacturer of the vehicle or from others. Use of this product for purposes other than solely for competition is a violation of federal law and may violate applicable state or local environmental, motor vehicle and other laws.